Wednesday, May 02, 2012

North Thompson River ©2009

October 10, 2009

Being inspired to walk 65 km over two days to celebrate my 55 years of age and to bring awareness to the first annual Together We Can Change The World Walk in Portland, Maine and 5 Million For Change, I felt like Winnie the Pooh striking out on a new adventure in the 100 Acre Wood. Truthfully, I didn't know what to expect from the walk, other than the feeling that despite my lack of athletic ability, that I could do it.


I left our home at 7:10 am on Saturday October 10th with Merv following in the pick-up for support. The temperature was -10 degrees celsius. Not exactly the temperature I was hoping for. The original prediction had been for a high of 18 degrees. Didn't happen! Within a few hundred yards of leaving, I was chilled to the bone and my muscles tightened. So much for starting out with a warm-up!
By the time I had gone 1/2 a kilometer, I was thinking I had made a mistake. Not just any mistake, but a BIG mistake.


Having gone less than a mile, I came to the bridge and took my first picture. It was a beautiful morning despite the cold. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, mist was rising from the river below. I had a renewed sense of well-being and urged my legs to keep moving. By this time my legs felt like fence posts that preferred to be firmly planted in the ground, not moving above it.


I remembered the Ah and Om, I had read about earlier in the week and started to hum them. Ah is the Universal sound of attraction and Om is the Universal sound for Gratitude. Truthfully, I didn't remember which was which nor did I remember that Ah was for attraction. For some reason I thought it was for Love. Anyway, despite not knowing the true meaning of the words, I hummed them throughout my day as I went along on my journey.


I passed the spot where the Chinook Cove Hall used to be. It brought back memories of our wedding reception that was held there 37 years ago. As I passed the Golf Course, I picked up two golf balls laying in the grass on the side of the road for souvenirs. Passing farms along the way, I thought of people who had lived there and were now gone. How Life carries on. The day was too beautiful to dwell on anything that would bring a sense of sadness to it.


Short of 8 kilometers, I arrived at the Darfield hill. I knew from the beginning that it would be one of the greatest challenges. I wasn't disappointed! I hummed Ah and Om, pulled out my Nature Valley granola snack and trudged up the hill. Ah and Om kept my mind occupied as I crunched the bars to keep in time. Halfway up the hill I heard rustling in the bushes. I glanced over to see a black bear scampering quickly up the hillside and out of sight. Shortly after, a grey dove flew overhead. I was blessed!


By this time, my face, hands, legs and feet had thawed. I had pain in my thighs and knees. Not unusual pain, so I kept going thinking of Pooh and his Friends. What they might be thinking of this great adventure and continued humming Ah and Om.


The decision was made to change shoes at the 11 mile mark with more than 7 miles left to go that day. It was a mistake, but I decided not to take the time to change back again. I wasn't so sure the first pair would feel so good now either! One of them had made a blister on the top of my foot that had broken open and I thought it might just keep rubbing it, so I went with the pair that bothered my instep and right baby toe. Within a short time, my left knee felt like it was twisted and I was beginning to limp a little more. The laces didn't want to stay tied and I would get dizzy bending down to tie them up again. I was wishing it was warmer so I could do a couple of miles in bare feet. Not the best idea, but it sounded good at the time. Actually, it was an idea, I entertained with joy.


And so I kept limping along my way, humming Ah and Om, trying not to think too much about my aching legs, appreciating the beauty of the golden autumn day and the hawk that hovered above my head. Wishing I had of taken a little more time to take pictures along the river. After all, it was a leisurely walk that had been planned.


I arrived at the 18 mile mark at almost 2:15 pm. Just over 7 hours from the time I left home. I wasn't quite halfway to my destination for the first day. Taking a short break wasn't a good idea. I knew I was finished. I knew this would be the end of my journey and I wouldn't continue tomorrow. I was dragging my feet and was aware the same cold temperatures expected for morning wouldn't have been good. It was ok. I didn't do what I set out to and yet, I had done more than most expected. I was happy. I didn't feel tired despite being up since 4:30 am and walking the 18 miles. Amazingly, I hadn't felt hungry or thirsty.


That night, I slept well knowing I had accepted the challenge to be inspired enough to test my endurance.


I’m forever grateful to my family for their support. I am also grateful to the Together We Can Change The World Association and 5 Million For Change for inspiring me to Make A Difference, not only in my life, but in the lives of others.

No comments: